- gallon size glass jar (make sure its really clean!!)
- 1 gallon of brewed sweetened tea (ratio: 1 cup of sugar per gallon of tea) I use regular black tea, though I’ve heard of others using green or herbal teas
- a SCOBY and ½ cup of liquid from a previous batch of Kombucha (You can find a SCOBY online or get one from someone you know who brews it. )
- coffee filter or thin cloth and a rubber band
- Prepare the sweet tea. I use 1 family size tea bag or 8-10 small bags per gallon of water. Add 1 cup of regular sugar (organic preferably). Do not use honey!
- Let tea cool to room temperature and make sure it is really cool! This step is very important as too hot of tea can kill your SCOBY.
- Once tea is completely cool, pour into glass jar, leaving just over an inch of room at the top. Pour in ½ cup liquid from a previous batch of Kombucha or if starting from a dehydrated SCOBY, pour in ½ cup from a store-bought bottle of Kombucha.
- With very clean hands, gently place the SCOBY at the top of the jar of tea. It should float, though if it doesn’t just let it fall and don’t stick your hands in the tea!
- Cover the jar with the coffee filter or cloth and rubber band tightly (flies love this stuff!)
- Put the jar in a warm (around 70-75 degrees is best) corner of the kitchen where it is at least a few feet away from any other fermenting products.
- Let sit to ferment for around 7 days, though the length of time may vary depending on your temperature. You can test the Kombucha by placing a straw in the jar carefully (slide under the SCOBY) and sipping. It should taste tart but still very slightly sweet also.
- At this point, Kombucha is ready for a second ferment. If you aren’t doing the second ferment, just pour the kombucha into another jar or jars with airtight lids and seal until ready to drink.
You can read the whole recipe at wellnessmama.com
And if you really want to give extra power to your Kombucha, add some BoKU Superfood!
Reno Rollé is a 2014 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year nominee and current Chairman of Boku International, an award winning, USDA certified Organic, Kosher and Vegan super food company serving thousands of customers in 65 countries. Mr. Rollé appears with Boku regularly on Evine Live, one of Americas leading national television shopping networks.