We all have cancer cells. The disease we call cancer means that the immune system has failed to kill these naturally occurring cancer cells before they got out of control and proliferated. Overwhelming evidence suggests that cancer is locationspecific. That is, it’s associated more with environment (foods and exposure to different substances) than with heredity. Since cancer rates are highest in developed countries, an obvious conclusion is that it stems from artificial substances created to make our lives more convenient, such as cleaning products, food preservatives, and artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors.
The good news is that most cancers can be treated and even cured.
What Causes Cancer?
We know that cancer is a mutation of DNA that causes cells to mutate and divide rapidly. These damaged cells can invade other tissues in the body and spread, causing systemic disease. What causes these mutations? Studies have shown that artificial influences that come with living in a modern society—radiation, artificial food additives, carcinogenic substances (such as asbestos), and viruses— are major factors. In addition, some cancers are associated with specific substances or conditions:
- Alcohol consumption is associated with oral, esophageal, breast, prostate, bladder and stomach cancers.
- Tobacco use and exposure is associated with lung, oral, esophageal, and other cancers.
- Obesity is associated with prostate, colon, and breast cancers.
- A sedentary lifestyle is associated with prostate, colon, breast, and other cancers
- Poor nutrition is associated with a weak immune system, and therefore almost any type of cancer, especially breast, prostate, stomach, and colon cancers.
- Immune deficiency diseases (such as HIV) are associated with various types of cancer.
- Hepatitis viruses are associated with liver cancer.
- Certain parasitic infections are associated with bladder and liver cancers.
In addition to these influences, risk of cancer is increased by exposure to carcinogens and infectious or toxic chemicals. This includes anabolic steroids and other hormone treatments, radiation and ultraviolet radiation, and toxic household chemicals.
Here’s a summary of some of the natural treatments for the prevention and control of cancer:
- Avoid exposure to carcinogens and toxic chemicals, including industrial chemicals, hormone treatments and steroids, food additives, artificial sweeteners, and tobacco smoke.
- Reduce alcohol consumption.
- If you are overweight, increase amino acids, proteins, and enzymes in your diet, and reduce saturated fats, red meat, sugars, starches, and processed foods.
- Eat more quality foods known to fight cancer, including carrots, tomatoes, oranges, broccoli, kale, romaine lettuce, watercress, and spinach, all of which are high in lutein, an antioxidant known to lower the risk of breast and other cancers. Soy and soy products such as tofu are effective against colon cancer, as well as hormonebased cancers such as breast and prostate cancer. Studies suggest that it may even directly block malignant cell growth. Also, garlic, onions, broccoli and Astragalus are rich in methylselenocysteine, a cancer preventative.
- Add a regimen of healing herbs and dietary supplements using the information below as a guide.
Herbs & Supplements
For starters, large amounts of antioxidants from red and purple berries, green tea extract, grape seed extract, vitamins C and E, and betacarotene are essential for a healthy immune system, and for reducing the effects of toxicity in the body that can lead to cancer. Vitamin E is known to cut the risk of prostate cancer in half. Skullcap herb, olive leaf extract, and mistletoe extract are other great additions.
Several plants and herbal extracts can be used alone or with chemotherapy to improve remission rates. These include: mushroom extracts (maitake, shiitake, reishi), mistletoe extract, cats claw, pau d’arco, pawpaw, PolyMVA (contains palladium, alphalipoic acid, trace minerals, amino acids, and vitamins B1, B2, and B12), Carnivora (an extract from the Venus flytrap plant), Essiac tea, mangosteen, and transfer factor.
The alga Spirulina seems to be an extremely potent cancer fighter. Experts believe that it boosts the immune system’s natural killer (NK) cells to help them more efficiently defeat cancer cells that naturally form in everyone’s body. The alga Chlorella helps fight cancer by increasing the immune systems effectiveness and increasing blood alkaline levels; but it also packs an extra powerful punch against cancer by increasing levels of the antioxidant albumin in the blood.
Research suggests that supplements of the adrenal hormone dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) can help prevent and treat cancer in the colon, breast, and lung, and when applied topically, prevent skin cancer.
Some experts say that cancer cannot grow in a systemic pH above
- Here’s a jingle: Keep your pH around 7.5 and cancer can’t survive. This is only partially true in the case of certain cancers. Blood cancers have a hard time in alkaline blood. If there’s one theme everyone should apply to all aspects of life, it is balance. Check your pH. If it’s below 7, stop eating the Standard American Diet of fatty meats, processed carbohydrates, and sugars and start eating lean protein first thing in the morning with pure water. The Green Powders are a good source of alkalinization. They usually contain wheat grass, rye, barley, and bluegreen algae. Also, alkaline water is now available to help raise pH.
Risk of colon cancer can be reduced by coffee enemas. Find a good colon therapist and get flushed.
Bottledup emotions are not healthy, so get current with your emotions and tend to your emotional/psychological health as much as you do your physical health.