Our shroomed up vegan version of this classic Irish comfort food won’t have you missing the meat at all!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves Size: 4
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen organic green peas, rinsed under warm water
- 1 large carrot, sliced into rounds
- 2-3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp Boku Super Shrooms
- 5 sprigs thyme – leaves only
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 lb Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plant milk (cashew, almond or hemp) – plain unsweetened
- 2-3 tbsp Boku Umami Spice
Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Transfer them to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add half of the garlic and bring to a simmer. Season well with sea salt and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander. Transfer back into the pot, add 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp Boku Super Shrooms, plant milk, and Boku Umami Spice, then mash to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt. Add more plant milk and olive oil if a creamier consistency is desired. Set aside until needed.
Preheat the oven to 350. Cook half the diced onions in a pot with olive oil till translucent. Stir in the carrots and cook another 5 to 10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add thyme leaves and rest of garlic. Then add the paprika, onion powder, flour, and 2 tbsp Boku Super Shrooms. Stir then whisk in the red wine and vegetable stock. Keep whisking until everything is smooth.
Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook on low flame until slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in the green peas and warm through. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste with sea salt.
Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms. Heat up a large skillet over medium-low flame and add the remaining onion. Cook 5 minutes then stir in the mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt. Sauté until wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer the cooked mushrooms to the pot with the gravy.
Add mushroom gravy to a backing dish and spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the gravy and level them with the back of a spoon.
Transfer the Shepherd’s pie to the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy!