Last updated: May 24, 2018
Identity & Access
When you sign up for Boku, we ask for your name, address, and email address so we can send invoices, updates, and other essential information. We'll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won't use your name in marketing statements unless you've publicly shared the information or expressly provided us permission.
When you write to Boku support with a question or to ask for help, we may access your account to assist with our response and we'll keep that correspondence, and the email address, for future reference. When you browse our site, we'll track that for statistical purposes (like for measuring conversion rates, to test new designs, and to determine which features are utilized the most). We also store any information you volunteer, like surveys, for as long as it makes sense.
Your data is only used by our in-house staff.
The only times we'll ever share your info:
- To provide products or services you've requested, with your permission.
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law.
You always have the right to access the personal information we store about you. You can review the personal information you provide to us and make any desired changes to the information, or to the settings for your Boku account, at any time by logging into your account on the website and editing the information on your Profile page. You can also contact support via email at email@example.com, mail at: 987 West Ojai Ave. Ojai, CA 93023, or phone at 805- 650-2658 Please include your name, address, and/or email address when you contact us.
Even after you have consented to our collection and use of your personal information, you may opt-out of having your personal data collected or used by us by contacting us via one of the methods described above.
Your Rights With Respect to Your Information
You may have heard about the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) in Europe. GDPR gives people under its protection certain rights with respect to their personal information collected by us on the Site. Accordingly, Boku recognizes and will comply with GDPR and those rights, except as limited by applicable law. The rights under GDPR include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. This is your right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession (also known as the “Right to be forgotten”). However, if applicable law requires us to comply with your request to delete your information, fulfillment of your request may prevent you from using your Boku account and may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed.
- Right to Object. This is your right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. This is your right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. This is your right to object and prevent any decision that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited, however, if the decision is necessary for performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable European law, or is based on your explicit consent.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and directly updating your account information. If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While we may be required to disclose your personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, Boku won't otherwise hand your data over to law enforcement unless a court order says we have to. And unless we're legally prevented from it, we'll always inform you when such requests are made.
In order to improve our services and the website, and provide more convenient, relevant experiences to you, we and our vendors may use "cookies", "web beacons", and similar devices to track your activities.
Boku also contains embedded 'share' buttons to enable Users to share content through social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter. These sites may set a cookie when you are logged in to their service. We do not control the setting of cookies from these websites. Please check the third-party websites for more information about their cookies and how to manage them.
Do Not Track
When you visit a website (such as our site), your browser automatically shares certain information, such as your IP address and other device information. Some of this information may also be sent to third-party content providers (for example: advertisers, website analytic companies, etc.) that provide content on the website. Such sharing may allow the website and/or content providers to track you over time and across multiple websites. Today, many browsers offer Do Not Track plugins that allow you to express a preference that you not be tracked, and that tell websites that you visit, by sending an electronic beacon, this preference. At this time, our site does not respond to Do Not Track beacons sent by browser plugins.
Security and Encryption
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser.
You understand that Boku uses third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to provide you with our services. A current list of vendors is available upon request.
In cases of onward transfer to these third parties for data of individuals received pursuant to the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield, Boku is potentially liable should any issues or concerns arise.
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Complaints
Boku has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers for more information and to file a complaint.
Please note that if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel. For more information please see www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
Location of Site and Data
This Site is operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Site, participating in any of our services and/or providing us with your information, you consent to this transfer.
Changes & Questions